From Up The Punks
UP THE PUNKS TV
Arghhhhhhh We've made a TV show!!! UTP TV will feature short stories from the Wellington punk scene with new episodes added regularly. UTP checks out Christchurch Punkfest 2014 and a UTPTV Special follows five North Island bands as they tour around the South land on a "Hell Bus" to Christchurch Never Mind The Punkfest. Check out a highlights reel here or the whole five episodes with extras at 5bands1bus. Episode 9 takes the long road to Palmy with power pop punk trio Fantails, Episode 8 features a trip to the twilight zone with Phone Sex Robots while Episode 7 goes all spaghetti western on the Shonkey with Dead Vicious. Other episodes can be found on the UP THE PUNKS TV page HERE.
UP THE PUNKS 2014
Opening on March 29, 2014 at Black Coffee is an exhibition and launch of Up The Punks zine #1 with photos taken in China during a three month residency exploring the Beijing punk scene.
Here's a write up on what UTP got up to in Beijing courtesy of Kiwese. Quit Punkn' Around
VIEW THE ZINE ONLINE HERE: UP THE PUNKS ZINE#1: CHINA SYNDROME
DOWNLOAD ZINE FOR DIY PRINTING HERE: UTP Zine Issue 1: China Syndrome
ORDER COPIES OF THE ZINE HERE: UP THE PUNKS #1 Print with Peecho
UP THE PUNKS 2013 BEIJING DAZE
UP THE PUNKS will be based in Beijing, China for 3 months working on a project exploring the similarities and differences between the two scenes and how these distinct locations reinterpret a punk ethos utilising traditional and contemporary networks of communication and production. Well basically I'll be going to a lot of gigs, talking to people and hopefully setting up some form of cross cultural contamination. Ganbei!!
This project has been made possible with the support of ASIA NEW ZEALAND and the WELLINGTON CITY COUNCIL.
Follow UP THE PUNKS in BEIJING here : Beijing Daze
UP THE PUNKS 2012
From November 6 to 11 Cuba street's Thistle Hall played host to the 2012 edition of the UP THE PUNKS exhibition. Following the lead of the on-going archive project on Wellington's punk scene and it's use of social media to facilitate collaborative authorship UTP 2012 gave the audience the opportunity to add their commentary directly to the gallery walls transforming the space into a walk in graffiti wall of accumulated stories and comments over the course of a week.
On November 7 UTP 2012 held GETTIN' WORSE: PUNX STILL ANGRY down the road at San Francisco Bathhouse featuring some of Wellington's best grind, sludge, punk bands in Numbskull, Influence, The DILFs and The JOHOs.
As well as allowing people to scrawl their stories of punk hi-jinx and wild times on the walls of Wellington's home of punk the exhibition also worked as a site for acquiring more material with people dropping off posters, photos, artwork and files for copying and inclusion in the archive.On November 10 UTP 2012 put on a finale show upstairs at the Thistle. Called NO WAVE SPACKTACKULAR the show's title, poster and intent riffed off a gig (New Wave Special 78) that took place in Wellington 34 years earlier. A chance to explore a diverse interpretation of punk NO WAVE featured Johnny and the Felchers, Fantails, Mr Sterile Assembly, Rogernomix, So So Modern, The All Seeing Hand and Flesh D-Vice.
- December 2014: Christchurch Never Mind The Punkfest 2014, A Showcase of Festive Proportions 2014
- November 2014: 5bands1bus
- September 2014: Dead Vicious, Stop The Bypass, If I Had A Gun
- August 2014: Starving Millions, Hell Fucken Rumble, Meth Drinker 08082014
- July 2014: Unregenerate Blood, Brain Failure, China Hardcore Festival 2, Gum Bleed Gripper Bonecruncher Felchers Vomit
- June 2014: Protons, Punk Park, Queens Birthday 2014, Up The Punks Television
- May 2014: SUBS, Shochu Legion
- February 2014: Take Shelter v2
- January 2014: Acid Reign, Avil Retards, Gum Bleed, The JOHOs
- September 2013 Beijing Daze 2013, Mind Lint
- August 2013 Microwave Babies,
- July 2013 Communicade, Compos Mentis, Gutrot, Awkward Death
- June 2013The Art of Persuasion: Wellington Punk Mobilised, Mr Sterile Assembly, The Resurrectionists,
- May 2013 Compos Mentis, Shortlived, Gutrot, Take Shelter, Take Shelter 2, The JOHOs, Awkward Death, Meth Drinker, Rogernomix, Cult of the Cobra, Natural Glow, Johnny and the Felchers, Malparido, Vas Deferens, Lorne Street
- 23 January 2013 New posters and info added to SMUT
- 30 August 2012 New information and music downloads for SMUT
- 11 August 2012 Interview with Mathew Hyde about Microwave Babies
CONTACT UP THE PUNKS
HEY ASSHOLE WHY HAVE YOU MISSED OUT MY BAND?
Actually I haven't missed out your band you've missed out your band. If you are/ were involved in a band/ gig/ protest/ party/ flat etc that was part of the Wellington scene why not contribute your voice to the archive. You'll need to get a account log-in sorted approved by Up The Punks Admin just to make sure you're a human and not a spambot. Contact us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Detailed instructions on how to add content to the site can be found in the Up The Punks:Community portal page.
Too busy to be bothered figuring out all that guff but have photos, videos, audio, stories, posters etc you want to share with everybody. Just contact Up The Punks and we'll do it for you!!! If you're in New Zealand we may even be able to handle scanning of original photos/ posters and digitisation of audio/ video material on site so none of it has to leave your collection. Just email us.
UP THE PUNKS: EXHIBITION CHAPTERS
- 1 Blood On The Floor: Wellington 1st Wave 1977-79
- 2 Making A Scene: New Sounds 1980-81
- 3 Agit-Punk:1981
- 4 Mean Streets: The Wellington Bootboy
- 5 Punk Will Eat Itself: Rock and Roll and Flaming Souls
- 6 The Anti-System: 1985-early 90's
- 7 The Art of Persuasion: Wellington Punk Mobilised
- 8 Beyond Definition: Late 1990's to 2002
- 9 The New Shit: 2003 to Now
UP THE PUNKS 2002: THE EXHIBITION
Thistle Hall October 16-30 2002
UP THE PUNKS: THE DOCUMENTARY