Up The Punks is an online community archive project documenting the punk scene of New Zealand/ Aotearoa's capital city, Wellington. Beginning in 2002 with an exhibition at Thistle Hall Up The Punks seeks to fill in the blank spaces in Wellington's punk history and present an alternative narrative of the city as told through the fans, gigs, bands, music, zines and art.
Spotted an error? Think we've missed something important? Want to add your stories to the mix?
Up The Punks is always keen to hear from anyone with information to share. Become an Up The Punks contributor and add content directly to the site or contact UTP and we can post your stories, pics, audio, video up for you.
Up The Punks is currently going through a re-upload of all its content. Sorry not sorry for the mess
- September 2017Fantails
- January 2017: Rogernomix Tour of OZ / Asia 2016
- September 2016: Onslaught 12, Doomsdays Wellington 17092016, Aftershock, Capitol Kaos, Anti-System
- May 2016: Rogernomix Tour of OZ / Asia 2016
- April 2016: The Johos, Unsanitary Napkin, Vas Deferens
- March 2016: Rogernomix, Zero Style, Wiped Out
- February 2016: Skapa, Avil Retards, The Ambitious Vegetables, Microwave Babies
- January 2016: Vas Deferens
UP THE PUNKS 2016 AUS/ SE ASIA
UP THE PUNKS 2012
10 years after the original exhibition Up The Punks 2012 returned to Thistle Hall gallery with an updated format, more photos, more music and more rungus good times. Held from November 6 - 11 UTP 2012 was accompanied by two gigs combining bands from different eras and musical interpretations of punk. Gettin Worse: Punx Still Angry and No Wave Spacktackular
UP THE PUNKS 2002
Up The Punks 2002 was an exhibition held at Thistle Hall gallery from October 16-30, 2002. Curated by John Lake and Kerry Ann Lee the exhibition was an initial attempt to plug the gaps in Wellington's historical record of the local punk scene.
Up The Punks 2002 Video
The original video made for the Up The Punks 2002 exhibition.